Tonight I was talking with a friend while our daughters were in their Musical Theater class. Her daughter is the same age and in public school. She was telling me about a persuasive speech that her daughter had to write and then present to her class. My first thought was "Oh my, I haven't done this with my kids!" while feeling slight bit of panic. I know it's sounds silly, but I'm being very transparent here. I think I'm just having a paranoid week, but I have been continually questioning myself and feel like I'm falling short. Questioning in and of itself isn't negative, but lately I keep having these inward panic attacks when I hear about what is being taught or done in various schools. On Monday, I actually felt guilt when I heard about a field trip that a class went on because I hadn't taken my kids there! I'll admit that I can be perfectionist when it comes to schooling my children. I don't want to just do "good enough"; I want to provide them with the best education possible. What parent doesn't want this? Part of these feelings probably stem from the fact that I've been working on recovering my energy and while I'm doing better, I'm not quite 100%.
I'd love feedback on this issue...How do you know that you're doing enough?
2 comments:
Let me qualify by saying that we are on the beginning end of all of this w/ a 2 and 5 year olds. But I relaxed yesterday and took a reading and life approach. I think my 5 yr old got as much out of it as she usually does. She's been struggling with focusing on subjects like reading but this morning with the promise of a new activity she focused on the whole story w/o a complaint. I think I am ramling- sorry.
I struggle with that question often myself. But through prayer and faith, I've felt God leading me to peace in letting go a little and trusting that He's equipped me with all I need to be my kids' teacher and mom, and that we can do all that needs doing.
I also try and remind myself when I compare my kids to other children (whether public or private school, or even other homeschooled kids) that even if the other kids are doing something my kids haven't (or can't or won't...) that there are other things that my kids have done that others haven't or can't or won't.
Also, remember that even within the same public school district you will find varying curricula between schools. I think it's just not fair to hold up one example of an advanced project and make yourself feel like you are not doing enough.
It sounds like you put your whole heart into teaching your kids. I bet they are getting a wonderful education at home with you!
I hope you are feeling 100% soon!
Benny
Post a Comment