...everyone is sad that it's over (and I'm crying at the end)!
The book I was reading aloud to Peter and Anne this week was "The Year of Miss Agnes" by Kirkpatrick Hill. This was not the officially scheduled Sonlight book for Core 4, week 2, but it was my officially scheduled substitution for several reasons. For one "Moccasin Trail" (the official book) just didn't click with us. However, the main reason was this book is set in Alaska and we are going there in less then two months on a cruise! Also, this was a book that we missed out on reading because we choose to do Sonlight's core 1 & 2 One Year World History program.
I've read numerous books to my children over the years, but "The Year of Miss Agnes" one is one that I won't soon forget. Miss Agnes's teaching style was so sweet and thoughtful. She's the kind of teacher that I strive to be for my children and those I teach at church. Miss Agnes
opened the world up to her little class of children that lived in a small Alaskan village and taught them to love learning and to see the opportunities it creates. This is what teaching is all about to me. I was sobbing so hard at the end that Anne had to read the last few paragraphs. I can get so emotional when I read a book aloud (I don't seem to do this when I'm reading to myself). I sometimes wonder if I'm alone in this tendency and if I'm the only one who hears "Mooommm!" when I pause to try and hold back my tears.
The book I was reading aloud to Peter and Anne this week was "The Year of Miss Agnes" by Kirkpatrick Hill. This was not the officially scheduled Sonlight book for Core 4, week 2, but it was my officially scheduled substitution for several reasons. For one "Moccasin Trail" (the official book) just didn't click with us. However, the main reason was this book is set in Alaska and we are going there in less then two months on a cruise! Also, this was a book that we missed out on reading because we choose to do Sonlight's core 1 & 2 One Year World History program.
I've read numerous books to my children over the years, but "The Year of Miss Agnes" one is one that I won't soon forget. Miss Agnes's teaching style was so sweet and thoughtful. She's the kind of teacher that I strive to be for my children and those I teach at church. Miss Agnes
opened the world up to her little class of children that lived in a small Alaskan village and taught them to love learning and to see the opportunities it creates. This is what teaching is all about to me. I was sobbing so hard at the end that Anne had to read the last few paragraphs. I can get so emotional when I read a book aloud (I don't seem to do this when I'm reading to myself). I sometimes wonder if I'm alone in this tendency and if I'm the only one who hears "Mooommm!" when I pause to try and hold back my tears.
5 comments:
Can't relate... the only books I read aloud are Dr. Suess and those just aren't the tear jerker kind of books! :o) You are such a wonderful mom/teacher!!
You're too sweet. You are a wonderful Mom too! Your kids are a testimony to this.
Oh my gosh! I do the same thing (crying when reading aloud to my kids)! Especially any adoption relate books... they really get me :-)
-Anne
Oh, yeah. I cry when I read out loud all the time. Wait until you get to "Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt." I won't spoil it ... but I sobbed at about four different points!
My kids told me that I had "almost beat my record with this book"...meaning I didn't cry until the last page. I usually cry atleast two times when i'm reading a book aloud. "The Year of Miss Agenes" hit me hard at the very end though.
Peter pointed out that I didn't cry once when I read the Eli Whittney biography. This is probably because I wasn't that into it: if I'm into it I cry!
Post a Comment