Friday, August 8, 2008

I'm Celebrating!

I'm so thrilled that I don't even know where to begin! I've often wondered if Peter would ever get into reading for fun...well, something miraculous has happened in the last two weeks! He's begun to read for enjoyment because he wants to read! This may seems minor to some people, but it is a major blessing to me. In fact, just a little while ago he just finished his very first novel that he's ever read completely on his own because he wanted to (not because he was assigned it or was made to)!! In fact, after he finished it, he immediately began reading the 2nd book in the series! Reading has been just plain hard work for Peter. A lot of prayer and being homeschooled has kept him from feeling the sting of the verdict of the "system" and negativity from peers. Even though he has not been one to read for enjoyment, I knew he never had a negative attitude towards books. He loves listening to books on audio and hearing read alouds. I've been hopeful that at some point his reading ability would catch up to his interests and he would become a reader. I am celebrating and sending up prayers of thanksgiving right now!

In the last few weeks, I've had several conversations with friends that are concerned about their child not wanting to read. Don't give up hope! Be positive, continue to read to your child, keep a selection of audiobooks on hand according to your child's interests and most importantly: pray!

2 comments:

Mountain Momma said...

I remember the first book I ever read for fun. It was the "Bobsy Twins" series. I loved them. I was about 12 or so. I love reading now but, I am so slow it takes me months to get through a book so I have to go back and re-read to figure out who all the characters are. So, I don't bother. I wish my mom would still read them to me. She always used to read to me... she was fast! I love hearing the stories... I guess I should get some more audio books!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations to him and you!