Monday, August 11, 2008

A Laid Back Summer

I cannot believe that the summer is winding down. This summer has been so different than the last several ones because I've been more relaxed. One of the major differences is that Anne is no longer on the gymnastics team or involved in gymnastics whatsoever. It has been wonderful to not be in the gym environment. When we were there neither of us were aware of how stressful the atmosphere was. Also, I have really, really relaxed with school this summer. I should have done this years ago because Peter and Anne have had time to explore their own interests this summer with fantastic results. While I've already written about how Anne loves to write and her wonderful experience at Writing Camp, a miracle has occurred in Peter's literary world as well!

Peter has had a "reading break-through" this summer! It seems that his reading ability has now caught up with his interests. I often wondered if this day would ever come! Since he struggles with dyslexia, reading has been just plain hard work for him. Therefore, the amount of pleasure reading that he has done has been minimal or non-existent. Previously, he read (excluding audio books or looking at the pictures with minimal subtext reading) only when he was told to. About two weeks ago, he decided to read the first book in the "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter. He finished the first book last Friday then immediately began the second book in the series. As of today he is halfway through the book!!! Unless you have experience with dyslexia, it would be hard to understand the miracle that's taking place! I am still shocked when I see him reading for fun. I'm so thankful to God!

I have been very hesitant in the past to take time off from school in the summer. However, it seems like giving Peter and Anne more personal time this summer has created the opportunity for them to explore and grow in ways that they would not have been able to if we had kept up the pace of the regular school year. With the exception of math (LOL), they have learned about a wide variety of topics according to their interests. Please remind me of this next year if I forget!

"Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire."

5 comments:

Mountain Momma said...

Are you guys watching the olympics?? I just love the gymnastics... I remember watching the '84 Olympics with Mary Lou Retton and wanting to do gymnastics. I begged Mom for lesson but she said "NO" so I checked out books from the library and tried to teach myself... What a site? Now I watch them and I just want to jump off the couch and do a flip with the kids...

Kindred Blessings said...

Gymnastics is my favorite sport to watch. I feel asleep last night though!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Hi. I think you may enjoy the book I just reviewed "The Call to Brilliance".

I love gymnastics. It use to be my sport, but now I can't watch because it frightens me.

Kindred Blessings said...

I read "The Call to Brillance" a few months ago. Maybe it influenced me more than I thought.

Kindred Blessings said...

8)(8:

You know, Anne said the dame thing when I was watching gymnastics. She has a hard time watching it because it seems frightening to her. That's interesting.