Friday, August 15, 2008

Useful Resourses


In 2002 a friend of mine brought over a copy of "The Old Schoolhouse" magazine to my house. She told me that in her opinion TOS was the best homeschooling magazine on the market. I was a subscriber to "Homeschooling Today" magazine, but wasn't overly pleased with it because the articles seemed repetitive...and I was only in my second year of homeschooling! I borrowed her copy and found an abundance of articles that were useful and interesting and a FREE unit study as well! I was hooked and immediately ordered a subscription that I have had ever since (with one exception when money was tight...but even then I bought a copy at Barnes and Noble!). Although sometimes I wish that The Old Schoolhouse would be published more frequently than quarterly, it is so full of articles that it takes me 3 months to read it all!

While reading my latest copy, I have noticed advertisements for their new Homeschool Planner:

If you know me IRL (in real life) or read my blog regularly, you know that I really love to organize. Yes, I am a planner and a "box checker". There is nothing that thrills me more than organizing (my schedule, our curriculum etc.). Not surprisingly, when I took a spiritual gifts assessment through a church, my highest score was in "Administration" (the second highest was in teaching). I've found this resource chock full of the type of useful forms that I love. I've never found the exact homeschool organizer that I've needed so I've ended up piecing one together. Now, I can find everything I need in one place! Another nice feature is reference lists like "Kitchen Conversions", "Periodic Table with Elements", "U.S. President's and their Wives" and "7 Wonders of the Ancient World". Interestingly enough, my daughter just asked me yesterday which of the "7 Wonders" she was forgetting! The answer was right there! I love it when research is easy and accessible.

If you're like me, you love getting things for free. So I'm offering a free digital subscription to one of my readers that is not already a subscriber to The Old Schoolhouse. Leave a comment stating why you'd like the subscription. I'll contact you if your comment if chosen.

2 comments:

Six-Akers said...

Are you serious or have you already given it away!??
We like the freebies of this magazine that we get at conferences and the homeschool fair. I really like having resources around to spring from, add to, add to other things. I like that this magazine has the encouragement for parents as well as practical tools for multiple subjects. This magazine is a great publication for filling in gaps in education or bringing a fresh perspective to the day; especially those toddler crying, preschooler whining, older kids complaining days that seem to attack without warning! What a great way to spend those few free moments alone to read when the bathroom door lock works!:)

Dawn Sodini said...

Well, as I click to leave my comment I realize that I am almost 4 weeks late. Anyway- if you could even send me a website that would be great. We are brand new to the homeschooling life. We pulled our 5 yr old out of K after 2 weeks and are loving it! What freedom and creativity come with taking the leap of faith! We have very little in the area of connectedness in this new arena of our life! Thanks for sharing!