Tuesday, October 28, 2008
The Legend of the Woolly Worm
I love fall. I love the beauty of the colors of the leaves changing, the musty smells and the crisp, cool air. Fall is my favorite season! However, this morning I woke up to SNOW SHOWERS??? In October? How odd! According to local legend, the "woolly worm" predicts how mild or harsh the winter will be. Brown areas on them mean a mild time of winter; black means a harsh time. For example, if the woolly worm is brown on it's nose, black in the middle and brown at the end, it means that the beginning and end of winter will be mild with the middle being harsh. When we moved to this area 5 years ago, I laughed at the "superstitious locals" that believed such a thing! Later, I learned that this "legend" came from the Indians who lived in the area. After 5 winters, I realized that the woolly worms are very, very accurate. This year they are ALL black. After seeing snow showers this morning, we're probably in for a rough winter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
yea!! A new post!! :O) I finally updated mine too!
hmmm... That's neat. I have never heard this legend. I am hoping for a lot of snow this year. The schools didn't shut today so the kids played outside before the sun was even up. LOTs on the trampoline so they jumped and watched it fly. It was good and sticky, perfect for snow balls kind of snow. Lot of fun!
I had heard the same about the woolly worms. Looks like it might be a cold winter this year. Of course my kids were out at 8 a.m. playing in the snow. They had a blast! We got about 3 inches here. Of course when the sun came out a time later, it was gone within 30 minutes!
Hope this means you are feeling top notch!
Joy...you've know people from the area where I used to live!
I'm jealous that you got 3"!
I am feeling about 95% better! Getting off the antibiodic really, really helped. It made me so tired. However, now I'm paronoid that the infection will return.
Wow, it sounds cold for this time of year. But I know that Santa Fe usually gets its first snow before Halloween, but it above 7000 feet.
Here it is still in the 90s. But it looks like maybe it will finally go into the 80s in about a week.
I hope you continue to improve.
Post a Comment