Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Memory Tree

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend. We cooked, ate, played Monopoly and on Friday we put up our Christmas tree. What makes our tree special is that each and every ornament has a story. We have an ornament that my Dad made when he was 6 years old, ornaments that I made when I was a child and, of course, ones that were made by Peter and Anne. When I was young, I had an Aunt that gave me a Hallmark ornament for Christmas every year and these are on the tree. I have ornament made by both of my Grandmother's and some made for my children by my dear cousin Mary Grace. Putting up the tree is a special time of refection and memories for me. There are many beautifully designed and decorated trees in the world, but I would never replace our "memory tree". I took some pictures to share:


My Grandmother made this Raggedy Ann ornament for me when I was five years old.


I love this "snowflake" made by Anne when she was three.


Peter painted this reindeer when he was four. Notice that one antler is missing? That's because he enjoyed playing with it and he crash landed it one too many times! The baby socks were Peter's too. He was born with large feet that never fit into these cute, newborn socks so I made them into an ornament for our tree. This was before I had "kidmade" ornaments. I was impatient and wanted some "kid" ornaments so I got creative!


This sweet ornament was painted by my cousin. I love handmade gifts because they truly are from the heart.

5 comments:

mary grace said...

It tickles me to death that you still have that ornament. Oh, that was a lean Christmas for my family. It was the year that we had to decorate the little potted rubber tree because we had no money for a Christmas tree, let alone gifts. We gave Jo a couple of things from the Dollar Store that year, and barely coasted in to Clt on fumes. Funny that I remember it all fondly rather than with horror. :-) See what a memory tree will do for you?

Aimee's Cabins said...

Our tree is a memory tree too! Ours only date back 11 years to our first Christmas as husband and wife. Each year we buy a special halmark ornament and now the kids have been making really cute stuff... I do have one ornamnet on there that I had as a little girl....I agree it does make setting up the tree such a special time. We all walk by and say hey I remember when.... I love Christmas it is my favorite time of year.

Joy said...

That is just wonderful! We will be putting up our tree today. I guess you can say our tree is also a memory tree. We have a lot of ornaments that Michael and Sarah have made. I look forward to adding ornaments that Samuel and Claire make this year.

Kindred Blessings said...

Mary Grace:

I treasure that ornament and the other you've made the kids. The time you spent and the thought makes it so special.

Anne Devlin said...

That is my kinda tree :-D