In homeschooling I often let my children's interests lead the way on what we study...to an extent. There are certain topics that must be studied, but how we go about studying it is often flexible. Both of my children especially enjoy history and geography and I often let their interest determine our topic or time period that we're studying. We are now learning about the Civil War which is one of Peter's favorites. We are working through Sonlight Core 4 (which covers pre-Civil War to modern times in American history). Peter and Anne asked me earlier this week if after we finish the Civil War we could learn about the Renaissance and go back and finish up the Winterpromise program "Quest for the Middle Ages". We were using this program the school year before last (2006-2007) and even though we enjoyed it we ended up beginning American history last year. I think Anne and I just needed to get out of the war-torn and somewhat depressing Middle Ages! Now, I think we all excited to go back and finish up this program. I'm especially looking forward to including that arts and inventions of the Renaissance.
I think that we'll be able to finish both Quest for the Middle Ages and Core 4 (American history) next school year. This should work out great because my cousin (who's doing Sonlight Core 5 this school year) has offered to loan us the program after they finish with it. Thanks Mary Grace!
No comments:
Post a Comment