There have been a number of times lately where I have sat back and looked at the man my son is becoming and said "Wow; thank you God!". My 12 year old "boy" seems more like a man some days. I've watched him have hour long discussions with adults about the Civil War and I've seen him grow in maturity, responsibility and discernment. Today, I saw the heroic characteristics in him that I mentioned in my last post. This afternoon, he protected a younger child from physical bullying. I'm so proud of him! Today, I had another glimpse of what a fine man he is becoming. He knew the right thing to do was to defend and protect the younger child and he did it without hurting the bullying child. He used restraint and discernment...and was very brave.
When Peter was younger I worried a lot about him. He had language, speech and fine motor delays which I spent a lot of time and energy focusing on. I should have had more faith in the Lord. I'm thankful that God was so patient with me and so good to my son. Peter has such wonderful gifts that I'm seeing Him develop more and more. There have been times I've thought: "If only I had known then what I know now", but that is where faith comes in. God makes every child with unique gifts and He makes no junk. Homeschooling has given him the opportunity to develop his gifts and work on his weaknesses (in a loving environment). Had he been placed in traditional school the focus would have been on his weaknesses. He would have been a child with "learning delays" instead of a child that enjoys learning. I believe that he would have been labeled instead of nurtured. I'm now thankful for what I once worried about. God has used these "issues" to develop Peter's character and mine...and if it weren't for them, (I doubt) our homeschooling journey would have even begun.
2 comments:
Your children really are a blessing. After having dinner with you guys Dan was really impressed with Peter and how gentle he was with the children and Anne too! You do have special children and you are doing a great job with them! Keep up the good work.
"...God makes every child unique and He makes no junk..."
I just LOVED this comment. Thanks for sharing. It was a blessing to me whose kids are younger. Especially since I sometimes struggle with the "challenges" that dd/4 presents for us. :^)
Post a Comment