Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Anne...Blogging?

Anne has been wanting to have her own blog and has been asking for one (especially) since I began blogging in January. Her main goal is to have an outlet to "publish" what she writes. Writing is her passion and I certainly want to do everything I can to encourage her interests. In fact, she is going to be attending a "Writing Camp" in a few weeks and she's so excited.

Earlier this week I was talking with my friend LaRessie about what to do for Anne this "school year" in the area of Language Arts. It seems like I'm always piecing together different curriculums to suite her needs and interests. She suggested I allow Anne to have a blog. Obviously, if she did blog, it would be a private one, but I still have some qualms about it. I probably being ridiculous to feel uneasy so I'm asking for feedback from my friends. Does anyone allow their child to blog? If so, what advice would you give?

6 comments:

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

I'm not a big fan of kids blogging--primarily for safety reasons, ie, your blog is only as secure as the site that hosts it.

Kindred Blessings said...

Oh, that's a downer...if it's a private blog with only those you allow in to read it, how can that be unsafe?

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

There have been cases of those firewalls failing. And there have been cases of confidential blogs addresses & subscription codes being passed around by the employees who maintain the sites... or well-meaning friends and/or family. It's a very small possibility, mind ... but it's out there. As always, one of those things you have determine your comfort level for.

LaRessie said...

you can make it private and then you can also make sure you look at all her posts and make sure there is nothing private that should not be out in blogging world. Just thought. With all things you need to be doing what you feel is right. We always have to be keeping an eye on what is being said and done on the internet.

Mountain Momma said...

Dan and I have both talked about this together...we think a blog would be okay...If she is posting stories she writes without using personal names of your family I don't see what harm it would be... It would be a great way for her to blog with some other writers...It is a small world out there if writing is something she wants to persue as she gets older it might be nice to start making connections now. After all it is not how good you are at what you do it is all about who you know... It might be kind of fun to make a blog with a "make believe" name and information...and publish under an alias! Just a thought. I would let my son do it if he wanted... It is not like being in an open chat room with perverts...

Kindred Blessings said...

I appreciate all the reponses. When she begins blogging it will be with a pen name. There are risks in all that we do and every parent has to determine their comfort level (like Mary Grace said), but I'm comfortable with this one.

Thanks friends!